The purpose of this campaign is to showcase the program NBA Cares, an outreach initiative that addresses important social issues such as education, youth and family development, and health and wellness.
The campaign does a variety of things well, but also has a few flaws.
- On Instagram, they group their pictures using the same hashtags for the same event. These hashtags are normally pretty creative, such as #hoopsfortroops.
- The campaign uses Instagram too much. They post multiple pictures in a day from one event. They could post 2-3 pictures from a single event within a few days of each other and get the desired effect.
- The campaign also tweets too much; however, they use different pictures for Instagram and Twitter.
- The Facebook page for the campaign is well-organized, but the same pictures will be on the page and Instagram.
- The website for the campaign is also very well-organized, but is more intended for someone who knows a lot about the program. I believe that someone who is just curious about the campaign would find it more beneficial to look at the Facebook page.
Case Study – Tractor Supply and Hobby Farming
By Sarah Korta
Tractor Supply is now targeting the average American with strategic content marketing. For example, they are now targeting the young couple that just purchased a home with a few acres of land. Or Tractor supply is now pursuing the family that bought chickens so that they may enjoy fresh eggs in the mornings. They are now targeting Americans who do not rely on farming or farming activities for their primary source of income. They simply do it for pleasure. These people are hobby farmers.
Tractor Supply is now for anyone who wants to adopt the DIY/hobby lifestyle.
“Everything except tractors. At TSC, customers find everything they need to maintain their farms, ranches, homes and animals. As the inventors of the “do it yourself” trend, our customers handle practically every chore themselves, from repairing wells to building fences, welding gates together, constructing feed bins, taking care of livestock and pets, repairing tractors and trucks and building trailers for hauling.”
Tractor Supply’s new marketing strategy is composed of two main channels in which unique and engaging content is distributed to old and emerging (hobby) farmers.
- Social Media
- Consistently active on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest with Twitter coming soon. This is essential as much of the new market will be on some type of social media.
- Photo contests (#flauntyourflock, #Fridayfluff, #TSCwishlist and many more)
- Tractor Supply posts to Facebook up to 3 times a day and once daily on Instagram
- Content: outdoor photos, recipes, photo contest reminders, tips, event photos, sales events reminders, products, and even zombie apocalypse how-tos.
- Content is always different
- Beautiful and visibly appealing photos
- Very high customer engagement
- Out Here Magazine
- Official magazine that “celebrates the lifestyle and values of the men, women and families who live and love the good life.”
- Comes out quarterly
- Can pick up in store or read online
- Issues will cover stories about other people who enjoy the DIY lifestylebut also cover a wide variety of tips and tricks of the trade on topics like:
- Raising Animals
- Arts and Crafts
- And other How-tos
In my personal opinion, with the help of a well-crafted strategic marketing plan, I believe Tractor Supply is well on their way to successfully engaging a new era of farmers!
Purpose of the Campaign: The “#CLAstory” is a project by Mercedes-Benz, aimed at supporting new and inexperienced filmmakers. The main purpose of this is to market Mercedes-Benz CLA four-door coupe.
- Three famous Instagram professionals: Alan Brutenic, Jiri Siftar and Allan Edward Hinton have each collaborated with Mercedes-Benz to create short films featuring comedy writer, producer, actor and presenter, James Corden.
- The Instagram videos provide the beginning, middle and end of a storyboard, but are missing six important scenes.
- Film directors are invited to complete the film and the scenes in the #CLAstory by uploading their videos onto the Mercedes UK Instagram channel.
- The creator of the winning film will get a chance to direct the #CLAstory with James Corden using the Mercedes-Benz CLA AMG Sport Car.
- The winner of each of the six missing scenes will receive a prize of a Go Pro Camera.
- The short film will be posted on www.clastory.co.uk, and the recently launched Mercedes-Benz UK Instagram channel: mercedesbenzUK.
- Another way Mercedes markets the CLA class is on FB. They have a picture of a CLA class car on their FB page, and on the photo caption they wrote: Whoever spots a CLA 45 AMG on the streets, takes a picture of it and puts it on Instagram using the #AMGandMe, Mercedes-AMG will repost their favorites.
- Target Audience: The audience that the #CLAstory is targeting is the Mercedes-Benz online community, creative influencers, film enthusiasts and film students. They are looking for someone who can create a short, unique and creative film that markets the CLA class of coupe cars.
That is the Mercedes-Benz social media campaign to launch and market the CLA class of coupe cars.
Burberry Acoustic Campaign
By Megan Gagliardi
- YouTube Playlist has 86 videos and 958,904 views
Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/Burberry.acoustic
- Facebook Page has 2,004 likes and was establish February 4, 2011
Instagram – trending hashtag of #burberryacoustic with with 290 posts. Burberry also has their own account @burberry. They occasionally post behind-the-scenes photos for their acoustic sessions.
Purpose of this campaign? To connect with the Gen Y and to reconnect with the proper British heritage and culture of Burberry. In my opinion, it steers Burberry’s ongoing commitment to emerging musicians.
What is Burberry Acoustic?
- Features a number of different bands promoting products in a way that ties into the company’s identity as an authentic, British brand
- All songs were performed and recorded exclusively for Burberry.
- Strives to showcase young, British bands
- Oftentimes features collaborations
- Sony and the British Fashion Council paired together to bring forth this campaign
- iTunes has songs featured on Burberry Acoustic within their online store
- “Launched in June 2010, [Bailey] conceives exposing Burberry’s increasingly international audience to local musical talents, ultimately widening Burberry’s base and projecting emerging English artists (wearing only Burberry, of course) into the world for all to see.” – Oyster Mag
- Bailey, mentioned above, is the Chief Creative Officer of Burberry
- Band videos are shared amongst Burberry social media and feature band members wearing Burberry clothing items
Results of Campaign Efforts
- Consumers “love” the videos and photos of Burberry’s latest collections and catwalk shows.
- Very little negative buzz
- Burberry Acoustic is “pretty cool” and a “nice project.”
- People love that Burberry is sharing quality music
- Social media provokes buzz about Burberry products.
- Data is split half and half; half of consumers talk about Burberry after seeing Burberry Acoustic campaigns and the other half only mention the music.
- A little over 10% mention desire or intent to purchase Burberry products after seeing the campaign.