Before we learn about the differences between the two it is important to cover what a content management system is. It is a computer program that allows publishing, editing and modifying content, as well as maintenance from a central interface. In simpler terms a CMS is a system used to manage the content of a website. WordPress is a CMS.
What are the differences between the two?
- User friendly: built-in themes, menus, and technical side is taken care of
- Blog is hosted on hundreds of servers so even during high traffic times your content is available
- As part of the WordPress community you can connect to other bloggers with similar topics and increase the amount of traffic to your blog
- You can not customize must use provided themes
- You can not modify the coding behind your blog and you can not install plugins
- Allows you to customize completely: you can create your own theme, add plugins and write your own code
- You are responsible for web hosting
- The technical side is not handled for you: you are responsible for software updates, spam blockers, backups, and keeping site running during times of high traffic
Who uses which site?