Jimmy Choo is a high-end, designer shoe and accessory brand. Anyone who considers themselves a shoe-lover knows Jimmy Choo. Their company is based on being seen and being looked at, so their social media platform is centered on visual elements. Their target audience is not for average people, it’s celebrities, socialites and the high fashion world. At this point in their brand’s life, they don’t need to self promote for people to know the name Jimmy Choo.
“Jimmy Choo encompasses a complete luxury lifestyle accessory brand with women’s shoes, handbags, small leather goods, sunglasses and eyewear.”
How does Jimmy Choo use Facebook?
- They are using the updated “timeline” profile.
- They have 994,389 likes and a current “talking about this” number of 53,365.
- Page features pictures of celebrities wearing their products (for example, they have a Jimmy Choo at the Oscars post)
- Page includes updates featuring the latest arrivals to their store.
- On Valentine’s Day they featured bags and shoes that men could buy for their significant other.
- Their most popular week on Facebook was the week of February 19, 2012.
- Their most popular city is London, England, United Kingdom.
- Their most popular age group is 18-24 year olds.
- Their facebook page is currently on an upswing in popularity.
- They have multiple albums featuring quality photographs of their products on display and being worn by models and celebrities.
How do they use Twitter?
- Twitter background matches banner on Facebook.
- They retweet people who are talking about and posting pictures of their products.
- They tweet a lot of pictures of celebrities “spotted in Jimmy Choo”.
- They only tweet two or three times a day on average.
- 67,797 followers vs. the 771 people they are following.
- They follow people related to their business like Vogue, Vanity Fair and Saks Fifth Avenue.
- Don’t tweet often on weekends. Tweet mostly between 9 am and 5 pm London time because that is where the majority of their customer base lives.
How do they use Youtube?
- Have quality videos advertising their products and new lines. Refer to some of them as “short films”.
- They have 5,124 channel views.
- They have 116,971 total upload views.
- They have 429 subscribers.
How do they use Foursquare?
Did a “scavenger hunt” to promote the launch of their trainer collection where the trainers checked into over 100 upscale locations around London. In 3 week, over 4,500 people participated with the hopes of winning a pair for themselves. During the campaign, the percent of in-store trainer sales went up 33%.
View slideshow of the promotion here.
Analysis via Mashable.com:
“Jimmy Choo has emerged as a category leader in social media, thanks in large part to its spring Catch-a-Choo Foursquare campaign that had women running all over London to secure a pair of the company’s new line of trainers (or sneakers, in American speak).”
View the full analysis here.
Jimmy Choo’s approach to social media is simple, yet very effective. It is visual elements. People want to see their products, and they want to see famous people wearing their products. The awards season has been a great form of marketing for Jimmy Choo, and they’ve taken advantage of it by posting pictures of celebrities wearing their products. They don’t overwhelm their audience by posting too much or filling up their newsfeed, but they know what their audience likes for when they do post. For a designer brand in the fashion world, it’s all about being seen. That’s what Jimmy Choo utilizes: well-done and aesthetically pleasing images and videos.
Lauren Schneider and Ali Thurwachter