In class on Thursday, David Griner from Luckie and Company spoke about the increasing importance of social media in public relations and advertising. Below are a few important takeaways from his lecture:
- Effective social media requires a good strategy and good planning. Strategy provides vision, systems and processes, accountability, and room for growth. Planning provides relevant content, a schedule, goals, and opportunities for improvement.
- Using an online editing programs, such as GoogleDocs, is extremely helpful. GoogleDocs can be easily shared with real-time editing and collaboration with several users.
- For businesses, Facebook and Twitter posts are most effective on weekends, and businesses should be posting at least twice a day.
- Social media requires constant evolution. Facebook and Twitter are always changing the way they share content.
- Successful social media content isn’t about tricks and tactics. It starts with knowing your audience and constantly adapting to their feedback.
- When you find content that works, build on it. We all learn from our failures, but its even more important to learn from our successes.